Sunday, September 4, 2011

Random Ramblings

HI!  My name is Jean, and I'm a terrible blogger. Altogether now: "Hi Jean!"  Why am I a terrible blogger?  Because I get these ideas in my head of how I SHOULD write, instead of just writing what I WANT to write.  And I constantly compare myself to other blogs I read and admire, and think to myself "my posts will never be as good as their posts, so why bother?" So then I let 5 months go by without any posts at all. But somewhere inside I know they don't have to be as "Good" as those other posts.  I need to write whatever I want to write, or what I NEED to write.  So...let's give this here blog another shot!


  • I had endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release surgery on my left hand/wrist on Monday.  WOW - what a difference it has made!  And what a quick recovery!  At this point, I still have to be careful about lifting, or putting pressure on it, but aside from that I pretty much have full use.  And he did the stitches internally, so the incision which is about 1/2 inch long on my wrist crease, will be barely noticeable.  GOD BLESS MODERN MEDICINE!!  If you are considering the surgery, and your surgeon does it endoscopically, I HIGHLY recommend it!  I will have my right hand done soon.
  • Spell check does not like "endoscopically" but none of the suggestions are right either, so I'm leaving it that way.
  • They gave me an IV antibiotic during the surgery.  Last night and this morning I ate yogurt.  Yes, those two points are related. Sigh...
  • My garden was kind of experimental this year, since we bought a share in the CSA again and get all the standard stuff from them.  Here's a run down on what worked, and what didn't.
    Heirloom Tomatoes - doing well.  We've got red, pink and orangey-yellow tomatoes, all producing decent amounts.
    Kohlrabi (white and purple) - grew well.  But I'm not crazy about it, so I won't grow it again. Glad I tried it though.
    Broccoli - got off to a slow start, but now it's doing great!  I've got some that I need to steam and put in the freezer
    Brussels Sprouts - looks like they'll be a dud.  There are some little nubs on the stalks, but they've been there forever and they're not really doing much, plus looks like the head won't be tight if they do continue to grow.
    Garlic - another dud.  They didn't bulb up. The cloves that I planted (that I got from Gurney's) got slightly bigger, but that's about it.  I'm guessing our soil isn't loose enough.
    Watermelon Radishes - yet another dud.  Once again, the soil must not be loose enough.  They tried to grow above the ground.  It's not working out so well.
    Herbs - Rosemary, Italian Oregano, Sage and Spearmint.  All growing beautifully - I should  probably try and actually cook with them.
    Rattlesnake Pole Beans - Producing well.  Wish I had planted more.
    Cucumbers (Bush crop and pickling) - doing alright, but not abundant.
  • James starts Kindergarten on Tuesday.  Full day.  I am not quite ready for this - but he sure is! If you hear some sobs at about 8:10am  (Eastern time zone!), that will be me.
  • Andrew will start preschool on the 13th (two mornings per week).  We're BOTH ready for that!
  • I had a significant birthday in July.  I had a hard time with it.  Still not used to telling people my age.  But I had a blast in NYC with my sister-in-law a few weeks later when we went to see Rock of Ages on Broadway.  FUN show, especially for this child of the 80's.
  • I finally decided I had too much gray hair for my liking (I started getting them when I was 18 - there are PLENTY!) and now go regularly to get it cut and colored.  Even had some blond highlights put in this summer - fun!  But of COURSE now that I'm finally going regularly to get my hair done, and found a stylist that I really like (i.e. she doesn't try and push all the expensive hair crap on me), she accepted a job another salon that is a little far for me.  So the owner of the salon will be doing my hair now. She seems nice - hopefully she won't be too pushy with the "Product".
  • I haven't done a grocery shopping trip since August 6th.  We get our veggies from the CSA, I've been to the local farm store for fruits, to a dairy farm for some milk, and Jeremy has picked up a few things here and there at the grocery store.  Plus we have a good pantry and stocked freezer, so no need for any big shopping trips.  But now it is time.  We're out of some staples, like rice.  So today, I will clip my coupons and make my list, then head on over to Market Basket.  I'm not excited.
  • That's it for now.  Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll have more here soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who says your blogs aren't good?! I always enjoy and hope you write more than just every 5 months. Dont stop, beliiieeving!

Jean said...

Hold on to that Feeliiiiin! (And it's the voices in my head that say so.)

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

So glad you're back! I for one love reading your posts so tell those voices in your head to "shut it!" when they start to compare :) Plus, if all the blogs were the same, what fun would it be to read them???

Jean said...

Voices have been SHUT!