Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy Birthday...

Photobucket
...TO ME!  Well, tomorrow it will be my birthday.  As for my age, I can still say I am in my 30's!!! I'm guessing the picture above was taken when I was about 3..or 2?  I don't really know.  My mom might know, but it's a little late to call.  In any case, I was young once, but not anymore.  We're taking the boys for a ride on Thomas the Train.  It was supposed to be a surprise, but I let it slip last night, and now JT is saying he's "shy" and "not sure" about it.  But he's definitely excited.  LW has no clue what I'm talking about, but I can already hear him repeating "TRAIN!!!" over and over and over when we get there.  He's a bit of a train nut.  It should be fun.  It's up in a beautiful area we haven't visited in quite some time, so the 2+ hour ride to get there should pass quickly enough. As long as we don't get too much rain. After all this dry weather we've had lately, it finally rained today and we may get some more tomorrow.  I purposely chose my birthday out of the two available weekends, because I wanted to do SOMETHING on my birthday, even if it's more about the boys than me.  Their happiness makes me happy.

I thought for sure I'd get another post in this week, but here it is a week since my last post.  We've  had a fun summer week, despite the heat.  We went to the splash park again this past Tuesday - the hottest day so far at 98 degrees.  Luckily it always seem to be windy there, so it wasn't too unbearable.  Except that I had to keep chasing after LW as he either took food from strangers, or decided it was his turn to use their toys.  Most of the parents are pretty nice, and said it wasn't a problem, they had plenty.  But that's not exactly the point.  And it's not like I didn't come prepared with food of our own.  I guess it always looks and tastes better when it's somebody else's, even if it's just a cracker.  We also had a play date over at a friend's house.  They have one of those small blow up pools with a filter, so they spent a lot of time in there.  Unfortunately I forgot the swim diapers.  Ever seen a water-logged disposable diaper before?  It's quite a sight, especially when a child is attempting to walk around in it!  I also discovered this week that I like Swiss Chard - sauteed in olive oil, garlic and lemon.  My next "new" food, courtesy of the CSA, will be Okra.  I've gotten a few ideas on how to cook it from some friends. My only memories of eating Okra are from the Cajun stew my mom would make.  We pronounced it "Ka-John", and it was really gumbo.  Silly New Englanders!

So what's next on my list?  Seeing as my next birthday will be a "big one", I'm setting some goals for myself.  I'm not quite daring enough to put them out there for everyone to see.  Hopefully that won't be my downfall, but if history proves correct, the "pressure" of other people knowing will actually make me LESS likely to accomplish them.  I spend my time stressing over what others will think, as opposed to actually doing something.  So for now, I'm keeping them to myself, and I'll see where I am in a year.  And maybe then I'll be ready to share them with my readers.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Happy birthday! Can't wait to see the pics of your trip to see thomas! Have a great day!