Tuesday, June 8, 2010

8 Years and counting

Today I celebrated 8 years of marriage to the love of my life.  There was a time in my life when I honestly believed I would not find someone with whom I'd share my life.  Partly because I am not what you'd call a "social butterfly" and therefore didn't really meet a lot of people. Partly due to my low self-esteem.  But one day early in 1999 I heard a segment on the radio for a website called "Personal Possibilities".  Yes, a dating website.  Before the days of eHarmony or Match.com.  Never thought I'd go that route, but this one intrigued me so I hopped on the internet (dear Lord I have not idea how I tolerated that S L O W dial-up connection!).  You created a little profile for free, and got to browse the ads for free.  If you wanted to contact someone, it was $1.00 per message.  Not much to lose, so I went for it (but didn't tell anyone!).  I actually met a few guys that were nice enough, but no one clicked. (Strangely enough...they all had the same first and last initials! I guess I have a thing for guys whose names start with J!).  Until that summer, when I (Garbonzogirl) received a message from Cjsquid. We emailed and talked on the phone for a couple weeks before we met for dinner.  I IMMEDIATELY felt comfortable with him.  That rarely happens for me, even to this day.  He told me I was beautiful.  Not just my face, but ME!  And that was the beginning of OUR beautiful relationship.  We dated, we lived together, and on June 8, 2002 we got married. I sobbed like a baby through the whole ceremony (one of my nice loud sniffs was caught on the video!).  And the rest, as they say, is  history.  So thanks to my love for 8 wonderful years, and here's to at least 80 more!!

I leave you with some photos of that beautiful day.

The organ with my Aunt Anna playing. It's not a church - it's music hall built specifically for the organ. AMAZING! My Aunt originally said no when we asked her to play because it was intimidating. So thankful she changed her mind! And please say a little prayer. In the very bottom of the picture you can see my Uncle Jimmy taking her picture. He passed away this Sunday at the age of 83.
The organ, with my aunt playing

Photobucket

In our "limo" a.k.a. my sister's car driven by her husband. No, JC did not down a glass of champagne before the picture was even taken!  He doesn't like champagne so he just chose to toast with and empty glass!
On the way to the reception

The beautiful cake, baked by the wife of one of JC's coworkers.  She was the caterer as well.  And yes, we saved the top layer and ate it on our first anniversary.
The cake

7 comments:

TaraC said...

Awww, anniversaries are my favorite things to celebrate. May you be blessed with many more happy years together!

Jessica Ryan said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!! When on earth did you start this blog???!!!

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

I still remember talking to you when you were just starting to date J - you sounded so sure that he was the one. (And I was all "Make sure you meet him in a public place!") Ten or so years later, looks like you were spot on!!

I love happy endings. *sigh*

Marie said...

Happy Anniversary! I love a good "how we met" story...especially when they end as happily as your's. :)

Hen Jen said...

that is a sweet story, and wow-that organ is amazing!

beautiful photos! Happy Anniversary!

girlsmom said...

You are such a beautiful bride! Happy anniversary (even though it is late).

Jean said...

Thank you all for the anniversary wishes! I'm still amazed!