Monday, May 10, 2010

Marinated Eggplant

When I was a kid, I didn't like eggplant much.  I thought eggplant parmesan was OK, as long as there was enough sauce and cheese covering it.  But there was one way I did like it...very much.  Marinated Eggplant. I was always very happy to see that jar or bowl of it in the fridge after my mom made some.  So the other day when I went to the farm store and saw some beautiful eggplant, I snatched up a couple with this recipe in mind.  And so I share it with you!  I always at least double it, especially when eggplant are growing in my garden .

MARINATED EGGPLANT
(food photographer I am not, but it would be weird to post a recipe without a picture! Not sure why the picture stretched out though)



1 small eggplant
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped pimento (roasted red peppers work well too)
Small clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbs chopped capers
2 Tbs chopped parsley (forgot to buy it - oops!)
1/8 tsp powdered dill (I used regular dried dill)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 cup oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup vinegar (I use white. White wine vinegar might work well, but I'd stay away from a colored vinegar)


Peel and cut the eggplant into cubes.  Cook until tender. (I steamed mine this time using this micro-cooker from Pampered Chef, my new favorite kitchen gadget).  Then combine all ingredients and chill.  I always leave mine in there overnight.  It works really well as a relish or side dish, especially for a summer barbecue.

No comments: